Notes from District Leaders Meeting – 1st February
- Attendance: Too many to list!
- Census Return 2018
There are still some Groups to complete and return their Census.
From the figures so far it shows that we have huge waiting lists across the District. The District Team will look at how we can combat these this year. New Sections will need to be opened to accommodate them, but this can’t be done without more Leaders. We will look at recruitment of adults with the District Team taking the lead on this. We also need to start cross references waiting lists between Groups as there are bound to be duplicates.
- Programme Sparks
All but 1 Group now have their Programme Sparks poster and we know that lots of Groups have begun completing the 100 challenges.
We hope to have an online booking system for Edward the District Bear, but in the meantime please contact Rachael DDC to request him for your Section or Group.
Each Group will be receiving a set of postcards, which are this year’s resources, from County in the next few weeks.
We welcomed Paul & Fiona from Hull Uni SSAGO to the meeting.
Paul is the President of Hull SSAGO and explained how the society would like to get involved in our District events as well as making links with our Network. They have members that would like to volunteer in Sections, we just need to be mindful of distance from the University.
Fiona is a District Youth Commissioner in Dronfield, Derbyshire and shared some of her thoughts on how we can continue to implement Youth Shaped Scouting across the District.
- It works best as part of your everyday programme, not just once a year in February.
- The past few year’s resources that have come from HQ are great for ideas and also perfect for Young Leaders to deliver too as everything they need to know is written down for them.
- Having YLs and allowing them to take part in programme planning is already being Youth Shaped.
- Youth Shaped Scouting is ultimately there to make our lives easier, not harder.
- Youth Forums work best when you already have a captive audience, such as at District camps & events.
- St George’s Activity Day & Service 2018
Our annual event will be held on Sunday 29th April at Beverley Racecourse. We have brought in more activities from outside this year, but not all of these come manned.
The meeting went through the list of activities and Groups assigned themselves to look after one for the day. The final details will come out in the upcoming newsletter.
- District & County Events
Full details of each can be found on our website.
- District Explorer Evening – 22nd February
- William’s Den Sleepovers – 23rd February, 2nd March & 9th March
- Camp Craft Planning Meeting – 5th March
- DESC Meeting – 20th March
- Wolds Challenge – 24th March
- Deep Sleepovers – 6th April & 11th May
- Fantastic Cubs and where to find them! – 25th May – 28th May
- Blacktoft Beaver Scientists – 23rd June
- AGM & Celebration Evening – 12th July
- DCs Surgery
- Tablers Wood Working Weekends
Explorers and Scouts are welcome to attend as part of their badge work. Dates TBC.
- Explorer & Young Leader Update
Changes are being made to the training delivered by County. Those that need Missions signing off should get in touch with Lucy so she can come and visit them. Please ensure YL numbers are recorded on Census accurately.
Thanks to those ESUs that have shared their Explorers to the District OSM.
Units are looking to attend Gilwell 24 as a District this year to keep transport costs down. Get in touch with Shaun if you are interested in joining them.
We are still waiting for Partnership Agreements and Accounts from several ESUs. These are a requirement as set out in POR, so are non-negotiable.
- Network Update
Brad has stepped down as DSNC, thanks for the time he has given to the role. Anyone that is interested in Network should get in touch with Linda or Rachael.
Please encourage new Leaders to register for our weekly newsletter.
GDPR – A brief overview of what the new guidelines are thought to be was given. We are awaiting more info from HQ, but in the meantime Groups should start to think about how the data they hold is stored and shared. It would be good practise to appoint a Data Controller within Groups.
Canada Forms – Thanks to all those that have returned these. We will be in touch with successful individuals in the near future.
Safeguarding – The Yellow Card has been updated and Groups should be sure to discuss the changes. Any new Leaders or Adults should have a conversation about the guidance written in the Yellow Card, not just be given it to put in their pocket.
County are issuing some more guidance soon and GSLs should ensure all their Leaders receive this.
- Date of next Meeting
Monday 16th April 2018, South Cave HQ, 7:30pm start.