How to earn your badge
- Learn the general safety rules for swimming (such as not diving into
shallow water or not swimming on your own) and where it is safe to swim locally.
- Show you know how to prepare for exercises. You could do this by leading a warm up.
- Demonstrate a racing dive into at least 1.8 metres of water and straddle jump into at least 2 meters of water.
- Swim 100 metres in less than four minutes.
- Tread water for five minutes.
- Surface dive into 1.5 metres of water, both head first and feet first and swim at least 5 metres under water on both occasions.
- Enter the water as you would if you didn’t know the depth. Swim 10 metres to a floating object. Use the object to take up and hold the heat escape lessening posture for five minutes.
- Swim 800 metres using any of the four recognised strokes without stopping. You should swim 400m on your front and 400m on your back.
- Take part in an organised swimming activity that’s different to the one on your previous swimming badge.