How to earn your badge
- Learn the general safety rules for swimming (such as not diving into
shallow water or not swimming on your own) and where it is safe to swim locally.
- Show you know how to prepare for exercises. You could do this by leading a warm up.
- Demonstrate a controlled entry or dive from the side of the pool into at least 1.5 metres of water.
- Swim 50 metres in shirt and shorts.
- Tread water for three minutes, with one hand behind your back.
- Surface dive into 1.5 metres of water and recover an object with both hands from the bottom. Return to the side of the pool, holding the object in both hands.
- Enter the water from the side of the pool by sliding in from a sitting position. Using any floating object for support, take up and hold the heat escape lessening posture for five minutes.
- Swim 400 metres without stopping.
- Take part in a different organised swimming activity to the one on your previous swimming badge.