How to earn your badge
- Learn the general safety rules for swimming (such as not diving into shallow water or not swimming on your own) and where it is safe to swim locally.
- Show you know how to prepare for exercises such as taking part in a warm up.
- Demonstrate a controlled entry, without using the steps, into at least 1.5 metres of water.
- Swim 10 metres on your front.
- Tread water for 30 seconds in a vertical position.
- Using a buoyancy aid, float still in the water for 30 seconds.
- Demonstrate your ability to retrieve an object from chest-deep water.
- Perform a push and glide on both your front and back.
- Swim 25 metres without stopping.
- Take part in an organised swimming activity