How to earn your badge
- Identify different types of sailing crafts.
- Name three places you could safely go sailing.
- Take part in a warm up activity to prepare you for a sailing activity. You could try tacking and gybing, hiking out or syncro-jump to cross the boat together in a tack or gybe.
- Dress properly for a sailing activity, showing you know the importance of buoyancy aids and how to put one on correctly.
- Take part in a taster session that covers:
- being able to name equipment used and parts of the boat
- getting into and out of a boat safely
- balancing a boat
- manoeuvring your boat in different directions, including moving forward.
You can complete most of these steps without actually being on the water, although it’s best to complete them as part of a sailing activity.
If you have achieved the RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stage 1 you can automatically gain this badge.