How to earn your badge
- Identify different types of paddle craft.
- Name three places you could safely go canoeing or kayaking.
- Take part in a warm up activity to prepare you for canoeing or kayaking. You could practice balancing whilst kneeling, getting in and out of a boat or practicing a paddling action.
- Dress properly for your chosen activity. Show you know the importance of buoyancy aids and how to put one on correctly.
- Take part in a taster session that covers:
- naming equipment used and the parts of the boat
- getting into and out of a boat safely
- balancing a boat
- manoeuvring your boat in different directions, including moving forward.
If you have achieved the BCU’s Paddle Power Start you can automatically gain this badge.