How to earn your badge
- Develop your skills in two water based activities. Show competency and technique in:
- launch and recovering a watercraft
- manoeuvring a watercraft
- communicating with the group
- knowledge of safety.
- Take part in a capsize and recovery drill for the two watercraft you have chosen.
- Use a throw bag or line to reach a person six metres away in the water.
- Show you know how to apply the steering rules to your chosen watercraft and recognise the main channel
- Use a knot (either a round turn and two half hitches or a bowline) or a cleat correctly to moor a boat with a painter or mooring line. Describe what you need to be aware of when using these to moor.
- Complete one of the following:
- Pipe the ‘still’ and ‘carry on’ on a Bosun’s call.
- Make a sail maker’s whipping and one other type of whipping and safely heat-seal the end of a rope. Describe the correct use of these whippings.
- Make an eye splice or a back splice and safely heat-seal the end of a rope. Describe the correct use of these splices.
- Name the parts of your chosen watercraft. If you have completed Nautical Skills Stage 3 you must choose a different watercraft.
- Take part in a challenging three-hour expedition or exercise afloat.
- Take part in a competition or crew-based activity in your chosen watercraft.