How to earn your badge
- Take part in at least two one-hour taster sessions in two different water based activities. By the end of the session you should be competent at
controlling your craft. You could try:
- a powered activity like yachting
- Show that you know how to act safely in your chosen activity if you are involved in a capsize or man overboard situation.
- Show how to check water depth using a method appropriate to your activity so that you don’t ground or beach.
- Show how to tie a clove hitch, a bowline knot, and a round turn and two half-hitches. Explain when these would be used.
- Name the parts of one type of watercraft.
- Demonstrate and explain what clothing is suitable for the activities used in your chosen activity.
- Explain the basic safety rules that apply to your chosen activity.
- Explain the difference between a buoyancy aid and a life jacket, when each should be used and how they function. Show how they are worn.