How to earn your badge
If you hold The Scout Association’s Personal or Leadership Activity Permit for Power Boating or Personal Watercraft (Jet Ski), a Leadership Permit for Narrow Boating or Motor Cruising or the RYA Level 2 Powerboat Award, you automatically gain this badge.
You can complete the steps using a powerboat, narrow boat, motor cruiser or on a personal watercraft.
If not, here’s what you need to do.
- Choose and identify the boat you will use.
- Choose the waters you will visit.
- Identify the features and hazards of this water.
- Learn what the rules are for boating on the water you’re using.
- Wear the proper clothing and make sure you have the correct equipment for your craft.
Complete the following steps under proper supervision:
- Locate the engine and know how to start and stop it safely.
- Take part in a man overboard drill.
- Launch and recover your craft (if that’s possible) and come alongside. Moor and berth your craft.
- Control the speed and direction of your craft to steer around a course or on a journey.