How to earn your badge
If you’ve qualified for the Yellow Standard Award of British Orienteering, you can automatically earn this badge.
Otherwise, here’s what you need to do to earn this badge.
- Learn about the map colours and common symbols used on an orienteering map.
- Orientate a map using either terrain or a compass. Learn how to navigate while keeping the map set to the ground. ‘Thumb’ the map to log your changing position.
- Complete three courses at orienteering events recognised by British Orienteering or another similar standard.
- Show you know the safety procedures, basic first aid, appropriate clothing and equipment for countryside navigation.
- Show that you know the Countryside Code.