How to earn your badge
- Explain how each of these are measured:
- wind force and direction
- cloud type and extent
- Record the weather conditions every day for two weeks. Use equipment like a rain gauge or an outdoor thermometer.
- Identify different cloud types. How are they formed?
- What do ‘warm’ and ‘cold’ air masses in summer and winter do to the typical weather in your area? Note down the effects of land and sea.
- Explain how synoptic weather maps are produced. Show you can
understand a map, with fronts and isobars, similar to those on television and in newspapers. How do the measurements in step 1 relate to the map?
- Understand the effects of hypothermia and heat exhaustion. How do temperature, wind and water affect the human body?