ow to earn your badge
- Explain what action should be taken and why, if you discover a fire has broken out in the home or at camp.
- Explain the process of combustion. Find out about the effects of smoke and heat and how to act in smoke.
- Be aware of dangers in the home and the fire precautions necessary for:
- oil heaters and open solid fuel fires
- portable electric fires
- drying clothes
- electric wiring and fuses
- smoking paraphernalia, particularly matches
- uses of household gas, including gas fires
- party decorations and candles
- closing doors and windows
- using BBQs.
- Explain the benefits of installing smoke detectors. Describe the best places to install them.
- Learn what the dangers of campfires are and what precautions should be taken.
- Find out about the causes of heath and grass fires.
- Learn how to make an emergency call for the fire service.
- Identify different fire extinguisher types such as water, dry powder, foam and carbon dioxide. Explain what kinds of fire they should be used on.
- Find out what to do if a person’s clothes are on fire.
- Talk to your family about what to do in the event of a fire at home.