How to earn your badge
- Learn the safety rules, capsize drill and the water buddy system.
- Learn the procedures for loading, numbering off, stopping, bracing the boat, forward and backward paddling.
- Learn the instructions and commands issued by The Dragon Boat Racing Association.
- Carry out practice training sessions for a minimum of two hours. Practice a race over a distance of at least 250 metres.
- Take part in a competitive or timed dragon boat event over a course of at least 250 metres.
You can use a bell boat.
Every individual who undertakes an activity badge should face a similar degree of challenge and as a result some requirements may need to be adapted. It is completely acceptable to change some of the requirements of the badges to allow individuals to access the badge (for example where there are special needs, cultural issues, or religious considerations to take into account) and the requirements outlined for activity badges do allow for some flexibility in order to obtain the badge. If you would like help or advice when considering adapting the requirements of a badge please contact UK Headquarters.