How to earn your badge
- Show what you know about the night sky and why the pattern of stars
changes, night by night, throughout the year.
- Learn the meaning of the terms celestial, equator, poles, circumpolar and zodiac.
- Build a model of the Solar System using everyday materials found in the home, such as different size fruit or sports balls. Use an outside area to scale the Solar System.
- Explain how the moon affects the tides.
- Build a telescope from two cardboard tubes or two A4 pieces of black card and lenses.
- Observe three constellations on a clear night and record what you saw.
- Read a star map using a compass and red light.Compare the differences between using a star map and a normal map.
- Learn how to identify a satellite. How do you tell it apart from an aeroplane, star, planet or a meteor? Then complete these activities:
- identify a satellite to observe
- choose a clear night and use a clock and a compass to help you observe the satellite
- plan an evening with your group and teach others how to observe the satellite.