The DofE is open to young people aged 14-24 and is available at three levels:
- Bronze: for those aged 14 and over
- Silver: for those aged 15 and over
- Gold: for those aged 16 and over
The programme consists of participation in activities within four or five sections (residential only available at gold level).
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expeditions: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
- Residential (gold award only): staying and working away from home during a shared activity.