To achieve this badge you need to complete all of the steps outlined.
- Learn how to prevent and treat the effects of extreme heat (sunstroke and dehydration) and cold (hypothermia).
- Demonstrate different techniques to light a fire.
- Show how to build several different types of fire.
- Demonstrate the correct use of international distress signals using a whistle, torch, mirror or markers.
- Describe some basic actions you can take while waiting to be rescued that will keep you and your group safe, and assist your rescuers in locating you.
- Learn the techniques involved in catching your food, such as fishing or snares. Remember – your leader will want to ensure you’re aware of the law and the issues about inhumanity to animals outside of a real survival situation.
- Learn to identify and source local, edible plants and fruit and the risks involved in eating those incorrectly identified.
- Prepare meat such as rabbit or fish to cook over an open fire and eat.
- Make an item of equipment that will be of use to you on a survival exercise.
- Demonstrate methods of filtering and purifying water.
- Demonstrate methods of finding direction by day or night without a compass.
- Finally, with a group of at least three other Explorers, take part in a survival exercise lasting two nights. The group should:
- construct a shelter of natural or salvaged materials and sleep in it
- cook all meals over an open fire
- cook without utensils or aluminium foil (although a knife may be used).
Every individual who undertakes an activity badge should face a similar degree of challenge and as a result some requirements may need to be adapted. It is completely acceptable to change some of the requirements of the badges to allow individuals to access the badge (for example where there are special needs, cultural issues, or religious considerations to take into account) and the requirements outlined for activity badges do allow for some flexibility in order to obtain the badge. If you would like help or advice when considering adapting the requirements of a badge please contact UK Headquarters.