How to earn your badge
- Learn how to identify six different living things from two of these
categories, that means you should have 12 examples in total:
- garden birds
- water birds
- minibeasts and insects
- wild flowers
- pond dwellers
- butterflies and moths
- Over three months, visit the same natural area at least four times. Take a note of the changes in the plants and wildlife that you see. You might visit a garden, hedgerow, canal, river lake or park. Make sure that you have an adult’s permission for the visits.
- Learn the countryside code and how to follow it.
- Choose one of these activities to do:
- Create a piece of art using natural material. You could do a bark or leaf rubbing, dried flower picture or maybe a collage.
- Use a dye that uses natural ingredients to colour a piece of material.
- Make a feeding station for birds. Get permission to hang it in a good position.
- Make a hedgehog, ladybird or bee house.
- With an adult pick wild edible berries, leaves or fruit. Use them in a recipe.